arranged by Larry Polansky
for gender, voice and gamelan instruments
Balungan and gender cengkok
(arr. L. Polansky, 1991)for gender, voice(s), kenong, slenthem, gong
6 3 2 1) 6 3 5 1)
I. 1/2 tum 3 1/2 kk1 1/2 tum3 1/2 kk1
II. kk1 kk1
III. DB1 or tum5 kpy. DB1 or tum5 kpy
6 3 2 3) 1 1 6 6
I. tum3 gt1 gt6
II. kk3 (high) or DK3 gt1 gt6
III. Putut semedi gt1 gt6
2) 6 5 (3)
I. 1/2 jk6 tum3
cengkok names from my book on beginning gender playing, available from
the American Gamelan Institute)
Gender introduction: mbalung
1. There was a mighty ship, and she sailed upon the sea gender mbalung freely
And she went by the name, of the Golden Vanity all other instruments tacet
And she feared she would be taken, by the spanish enemy
And they'd sink her in the lowlands, in the lowlands
They'd sink her in the lowlands, low
2. Then up jumped the cabin boy, and boldly up spake he gender: irama tanggung
And said to the captain, what will you give to me add slenthem
If I swim alongside, the spanish enemy
And sink her in the lowlands, in the lowlands
And sink her in the lowlands, low.
3. He said I will give you silver, and I will give you gold gender: irama dados
And my fair young daughter, will be yours to hold slenthem, slight variations
If you swim alongside, the spanish enemy add gong and kenong
And you sink her in the lowlands,...
4. Well up jumped the cabinboy, and overboard went he gender: irama dados w/variations
And he swam alongside, the spanish enemy full gamelan
and with his pick and auger, he made him(self) holes three add voices on final lines
And he sank her in the lowlands, ...
5. gender solo, wilet, one complete verse...
(w/all other instruments)
6. Well captain, oh captain, please take me back on board gender: irama wilet
For I have been just as good as my word (all other instruments in till last verse)
and I swam alongside, that spanish enemy
And I sank her in the lowlands,...
7. Well this said the captain, to that brave cabinboy gender: irama wilet
Oh never, oh never, will I take you back on board gender panerus enters
And you and my daughter, never will that be
For you'll stay here in the lowlands,...
8. Well up spake the cabinboy, and captain, said he gender: irama wilet
If I didn't love your daughter, just like the enemy
I'd take my pick and auger, and captain you would see
That I'd sink you in the lowlands,...
9. But he turned his back on them, and swam away did he gender: mbalung
He swam far away, from the Golden Vanity all other instruments tacet,
And he sunk himself down, to the bottom of the sea except for final gong...
And he drowned in the lowlands,...